Tuesday 11 September 2012

Blockages, surgery, this, that and the other thing.

Remember last time I told you my hubby had to have his thing in his chest flushed every six weeks?  Well, it wouldn't flush, so I had to take him for X-rays to see why.
The first set of X-rays taken here in our home town did not show why there was a problem, so back to the doctor.  The doctor had a new idea- they would put dye in my hubby and take a scan, so in a couple of days after seeing the doctor, I took my husband down to the Hervey Bay hospital where they did the scan.
A couple of days later, he got the results.  They still couldn't work out what was wrong.  They tried again to flush it out but it would not work.  A nurse and a couple of doctors put their heads together and came up with another idea- pump dye directly into the thingy in his chest instead of his arm and that should show what is wrong.
The next day back down to Hervey Bay, only my hubby mistook the instructions where to go and thank goodness we left home with over an hour before the appointment!  Driving around looking for the place, asking people and being told the wrong place, I decided to go to the other X-ray place and ask, my hubby went in to ask and they kindly rang the place they thought it may be and bingo we knew the name of the place and the street but not exactly where in the street.  Up and down and finally found it!
When we got there we were about twenty minutes early; the nurse at the hospital had given my hubby the wrong time!  It's amazing how things work out.
It took about two hours for the procedure, after which we had to go to the hospital to get the results.
Not too good.  It was blocked with a blood clot and had to come out as soon as possible, they would call with the details.
It was almost a week before they called but it could be done here in our hospital so that was something working our way.
We had to be there at 7am and it was very cold in the middle of winter it was about 7 degrees C and we had a whiteout- you could not see the paddocks across  the road.  It was ok when we drove up the road it was much easier to see.
Centerlink were making me report every two weeks so I could get some money from them not too bad but I was to report on the day of my hubbys operation I called the day before but they would not let me report a day early or late, it had to on the day or they would take money off me. I finally convinced them I could not come in that day and they gave me a phone number I could call and report to and I had up to 6pm that was ok.
On the day of the op everything went well I was very tired, stress does that to you, so a family friend took me to the hospital to get my hubby.  It was about 2pm when we collected him, so I came home and called Centerlink so I could get my money; I was still waiting for news about my carers pension so if they said jump I would I could not make waves.
My hubby was asked to make an appointment with his GP in five days time to get his stitches out, this worked out well because we had more paperwork for his GP to fill out for Centerlink about the carers pension, (one of the ladies at centrelink told me to take a copy of my answers to my hubby's appointment so we could be on the same page so to speak).
A couple of days after we sent in the paperwork, I got a letter from Centerlink telling me I had an appointment on the following Tuesday and to call if I could not make it, so I called because that day I had to take my hubby to his doctor at the hospital.  We made another appointment for the following Thursday.  That was good, it gave me time to get my bits together.  The appointment was for me to give reasons why I could not work, I thought "are they for real?  I am trying to get a carers pension, I have a sick husband!"  I was getting my bits together including a letter from my doctor, on the Wednesday the day before my appointment and then I opened the mail there were several letters from Centrelink which, as it happened,  I opened in the wrong order because the first one said "your payment has been cancelled", I dropped the letter and started crying.  Why now?  What have I done?  With shaking hands I opened another of the letters it was reminding me I had an appointment the next day, "ok," I thought, "they still want me to go to the appointment".  The next letter said you will be getting xyz for your payment I was confused, so I opened another letter, this one said we have put xyz in your bank as back payment, still confused I opoened the last letter and it said "congratulations you have been granted a carers pension back dated to when we first applied".  I was shaking like a leaf I dropped the letter and started crying again, happy tears this time.  I could not believe it I had been fighting centerlink for months, and finally a break through.
When I calmed down I had great pleasure in calling centerlink and telling them I would not be coming in the next day for my appointment because I had been given my carers pension.
I can now afford a brand new washing machine.  In almost thirty-six years of marriage, I have never owned a new washing machine.  I am so looking forward to getting it!  I am starting to look around but hope to really look next week.  I am going to get the one I want, not the first one that I see.  There are also a couple of other bits and pieces that I want and won't feel guilty about getting them.
Things were starting to look up; I am not so stressed about paying bills, I am getting pensioner discount on electric and rates and a few other things so it all helps.

Our dear old dog hadn't been well for awhile but on Fathers' Day he had a bad turn.  The next day he seemed to be getting better that was the Monday and on the Tuesday, he had passed away before I got up, my hubby got a friend to help bury him in our yard we have some nice neighbours around here the not so nice ones are slowly leaving the area and lovely people are moving in to the area.
Our dear dog was old and his heart just gave up we miss him very much and the tears are still flowing, just when things were looking up something else had to happen to push us down I keep getting swept away with emotion.  Tuesday 11th September is our 36th Anniversary my hubby and I are going out for a special lunch one at the beginning of the year I thought we might not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment