Monday 28 May 2012

A useless trip and no new information, still waiting.

It was almost two weeks ago my husband had to go to the hospital at the Bay.  It was for a doctor's appointment that they asked him to attend through the mail. 
At the moment my husband is, as I have told you last time, going through chemo withdrawal.  My husband has another problem which cannot be taken care of until he is a lot better than he is now, so he can have surgery for his other problem I won't tell you what, it isn't important and not a matter of life and death like the cancer was. 
Going back to almost two weeks ago hubby was all excited thinking he was going to see his surgeon about working out a date for his operation.  We drove down for his 9:30am appointment, no problems; it was a good trip down, even with roadworks in four places.  I dropped him off and went to get a coffee and have a walk in the park, and if time, a look in some shops.  I was all set for a nice couple of hours, so I thought. A walk in the park first and then a coffee and cake was my plan. 
I had driven down to the carpark to go for my walk but thought I would just rest for a few moments first no problem there, I set a timer for 15minutes, it goes off time for a walk then my coffee and cake.  I was getting my water to take with me, when my phone rang.  It was my hubby.  "Come and get me I'm finished".  Oh bugger! No walk, no coffee and noooo cake!  Like a dutiful wife I started the car and went to get him from the hospital, he was waiting so I didn't have to find a park in a carpark that is usually full.  My hubby gets in and tells me it was all a mistake they had made the appointment for the wrong doctor, this doctor was a surgeon but the one looking after his bowel cancer, and he did not want to see him, the other surgeon who is was to see hasn't got an appointment until the end of the month so we will have to come back then.  Maybe when we go back for his appointment the day before my birthday (my 55th) I will get my walk in the park and my coffee and cake, well fingers crossed. 
On the way home my hubby was very quiet.  His joy had turned to sadness.  Someone had made a mistake and as a result, had burst his bubble. 
We are both hoping that he will get the news he is wanting to hear when he sees the right doctor next week. My hubby is not too well he still has a lot of the side effects from his chemo in fact his energy level is very low he gets puffed just walking up the stairs, he forgets so many things and I am getting tired of telling him the same thing over and over.  They call it chemo brain.  The doctors say it will get better but not for quite a while. 
Centerlink say he is not ill enough for a pension but he can have a sickness allowance.  They believe he can go back to work in a few months, his G P says no, not likely, not while his fingers and toes are numb and he gets puffed walking up the stairs, and then there is chemo brain to get over, I can't see any boss repeating instructions over and over several times a day.
I do not understand where they (centrelink) are coming from no way can he work but they are not with him every day seeing him struggle to get everyday things done without forgetting what it was he was doing in the first place, they just see words on pages of paper they do not care about the man and his problems.  I just want to scream but instead how about I get swept away on a cloud into no problem land oh if only there were such a place, maybe I'll go there in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment